Monday, January 30, 2012

Speak Up! Pt. 2

Ever had a situation bring everything into full circle?

Well, right now I feel like I am going through that situation right now. I am being put in situations that have definitely caused me to think...seriously think. It is really putting things into perspective.

I was granted an opportunity (or at the time I thought was an opportunity) through work that I figured would show my abilities within my scope. Needless to say, it is the total opposite. So far, I have been given things that I would categorize as work that no one else wants to do. It literally brought me to tears because here I am this guinea pig trying to make it work because I am thinking "oh this is my opportunity" to advance, to show my abilities.

What Ive learned so far is you have to speak up. You may think that just because you are told to do something, it means you have to do it. Not correct even if it is in a working environment. Never go beyond your means or job description. Everyone in that environment makes a check just like you and you cant allow people to use you because they have set in their mind "oh she'll do it." People will be people and will take advantage of you if you allow them to. NO! The answer is no.

All my life I have been a "yesman". That stops now!

Speaking up caused me to see that yes I was given tasks out of my scope and it gave clarity so that the next person does not have to deal with what I went through.

Speaking up made me feel better and helped me to sleep better at night.

Long story short, I cannot wait until February is over so that I can get out of this situation. Never again!

So the moral of the story is dont let people/money deter you from your mental health and standing for yourself. I would much rather have good health and a peace of mind than a million dollars in the bank...think about it.

Hope this makes sense. There is only so much I can tell...you never know whose reading:)

1 comment:

  1. Girl...if this isn't me in a sense...

    I'm glad you got the courage to speak up. I can't tell you how many times I've felt overworked and underpaid.

    ReplyDelete